Ashley (678) 697-9909
Brian (770) 331-1206

Welcome to Vanderhoff Real Estate

Top Realtors® for Buying and Selling Homes for Sale, Rent, Investment and Foreclosures in Acworth, Alpharetta, Atlanta, Ball Ground, Buckhead, Canton, Cumming, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, Kennesaw, Marietta, Milton, Mountain Park, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Waleska & Woodstock Georgia

`

June 22, 2017

social-facebook_old.png social-vimeo.jpg social-twitter.jpg social-fcstv.png

Special Edition: School Board Approves FY 18 Budget
The official FCS newsletter of district information, community news, and school, staff, and student recognitions.
Fulton School Board Approves Fiscal Year 2018 Budget

Tonight the Fulton County Board of Education approved the FY 2018 budget that will go into effect July 1.

The final budget comes after several weeks of intense conversation around increased tax assessments for 2017 and their impact on school systems’ financial operations. Following community concern, yesterday the Fulton County Board of Commissioners voted to hold the assessments to their 2016 levels, which means that the school system’s tentatively approved budget from May could require adjustment at a later date.

Board President Linda Bryant stated that the Fulton County Board of Commissioners’ decision will delay the school system’s receipt of the final digest, but the planned budget supports School Board priorities, focuses on strategically supporting our schools and is based on advice and guidance from the Tax Assessor. Mrs. Bryant also emphasized that the district’s history of responsible, conservative management, and strong fund balance, will allow adjustments as necessary.

The budget aims to keep the millage rate the same for the eighth consecutive year, maintaining the school board’s commitment to low property taxes. At 18.483 the combined millage rate would continue to be the lowest in the metro Atlanta area.

The approved budget also maintains the school board’s commitment to adequately funding schools and the classroom, with 68% of the $1 billion general fund devoted to instruction and the remaining 32% budgeted for pupil transportation, maintenance and operations, and other administrative functions. The budget also keeps class sizes the same and does not include any staff reductions or furlough days for employees. It continues the school board’s focus on appropriately aligning funding to personnel and programs, with a 2% raise granted for employees paid on the teaching salary schedule and a 1% raise given for all other district staff. Eligible employees in the district also will receive a step increase as they transition to the new budget year. This is the school system’s seventh consecutive year of providing some level of increased compensation to employees.

More details on the approved budget are posted at http://www.fultonschools.org/en/divisions/finserv/Pages/Budget-Services–.aspx.

School Board Names Kimberly Dove as District 6 Finalist

Also during its meeting tonight, the Fulton County Board of Education announced Kimberly Dove (photo attached) as the finalist for Catherine Maddox’s District 6 position. Maddox stepped down last month due to health concerns. District 6 includes parts of East Point, College Park and Union City.

Following Mrs. Maddox’s announcement, the school board invited potential candidates to submit letters of interest with a resume. From these, the board selected Dove as its finalist and will formalize her selection at its August 10 work session.

Thank you for your continued support of the Fulton County School System.

« Back to Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *